VALS, as part of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (NATSILS), are extremely concerned over the level of protection afforded to the human rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in Australia, particularly in relation to their contact with the justice system.
As such, the NATSILS provided the Committee on the Rights of the Child with a Shadow Report for the upcoming review of Australia.
Collaboration and/or endorsement of this report was recieved from the following Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (ATSILS):
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd;
- Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement Inc.;
- Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT);
- Aboriginal Legal Service of Western Australia (Inc.);
- Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service;
- North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency; and
- Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Co-operative Limited