VALS MEMBER CALL-OUT
Due to changing funder requirements, VALS undertook the process of transferring to a new entity type. VALS is now trading name as part of the company:
South East Australian Aboriginal Justice Service Limited (SEAAJSL)
The Board of Directors of South East Australian Aboriginal Justice Service Limited are calling for new members to join the company.
A membership application form can be:
- Found in the below links,
- Can be collected from our receptionist, and
- Can be mailed or emailed to you.
Steps to becoming a member:
- Complete application and return to VALS office,
- Applications are tabled for the next Board of Director’s meeting,
- Applications are reviewed and outcome determined,
- If successful, new members will be notified via mail.
SEAAJSL Reference Documentation:
VALS is an Aboriginal community controlled organisation operating Statewide in Victoria, providing community justice services and legal practice services to all Victorian Aboriginal community.
In the face of limited government funding, we need your support to expand our work. Despite numerous parliamentary inquiries and government bodies being established, not enough has been done to change outcomes for Aboriginal communities. For example:
– Aboriginal women now comprise the fastest growing segment of the Victorian prison population and are also more likely to return to prison and more likely to be in prison on remand.
– Our young people are being harmed. Victoria has one of the highest substantiation rates for child protection, and when our young people are in child protection, they are removed from their family, community and cultural connection, growing up with no sense of identity or knowledge of their history. Aboriginal youth are 26 times more likely to be in youth detention than any other child in Australia.
– Our people continue to report negative experiences with over-policing and police misconduct, including a lack of accountability and action when they do pursue complaints through formal channels.
We know that consistent pressure, in the courts and through policy advocacy can effect change. We need your support to ensure we keep this pressure up. Every dollar you donate goes directly towards achieving better outcomes for our communities.
Are donations tax deductible? Yes
Will I receive a receipt for my donation? Yes, immediately sent to you by email when approved.
Legal advice/representation if you have to go to court or are charged.
Discrimination, police wrong-doing
We provide advice about child welfare and family issued.