This submission to the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) was prepared by the National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLC) and the Human Rights Law Resource Centre (HRLRC) with the guidance of an NGO Steering Group and with contributions from over 30 NGOs including VALS. Endorsed, in whole or in part, by more than 100 NGOs across Australia, this submission talks about Australian laws, policies and practices continue to inhibit Aboriginal peoples’ equal enjoyment of their rights under CERD.
Joint submission by:
• Victorian Aboriginal Community Services Association Limited (VACSAL);
• Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Limited (VAEAI);
• Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA);
• Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO);
• Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Co-operative Limited (VALS).
The submission, titled A Fairer Victoria for Indigenous Communities: A Framework for Action (A Proposal for building the capacity of community-controlled Aboriginal organisations in Victoria) was sent to the Victorian Government.