Civil Law

 Tenancy, discrimination, police wrong-doing, and victims of crime.

VALS provides civil law assistance. In some instances, we provide advice only, and in other instances we will open a file to conduct ongoing casework. Where we can’t assist directly, we aim to refer people to services who can.

VALS may provide civil law casework and/or advice in the following areas:

  • Infringements
  • Tenancy
  • Victims of Crime assistance
  • Police complaints
  • Human rights and Discrimination
  • Coronial inquest/death in custody matters

VALS can provide civil law advice only the following additional areas:

  • Motor vehicle property damage
  • Neighborhood disputes
  • Privacy
  • FOI applications

VALS can facilitate referrals to other organisations for assistance in a range of other areas, including:

  • Wills and estates
  • Personal injury
  • Employment law
  • Consumer disputes
  • Credit and debt issues
  • VALS’ civil section provides advice to all Victorians. We can provide legal representation for casework clients in most instances, and where we can’t, we aim to collaborate with other lawyers to arrange representation.