Expression of Interest:
The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service frequently offers a number of employment opportunities within our Legal, Community Justice and Executive and Corporate Services. If you are an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person who is seeking to work with our organisation please send your current resume along with your preferred area/role and region (metro, Loddon, Barwon etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject headline ‘VALS Talent Pool’
Lawyer – Aboriginal Families Practice
THIS ROLE IS CLOSED
To provide high quality legal services, including information, advice, representation, casework, negotiation and dispute resolution, and outreach services primarily in Family Law matters with a focus on family violence and related hearings in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria and the Federal Circuit and Family Courts of Australia on behalf of members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) community in Victoria. This position also requires a willingness to conduct child protection matters.
To engage with and participate in VALS projects, policy and law reform initiatives, and community and professional legal education programs.
Key Performance Indicators, Duties & Responsibility
1. Appear as an advocate on behalf of VALS clients in Family Law proceedings in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria and the Federal Circuit and Family Courts of Australia, and at other state-wide locations as required.
2. Deliver high quality legal services, including information, advice and casework on behalf of VALS clients in Family Law matters and other related matters as required.
3. Maintain a substantial caseload in Family Law matters.
4. Prepare and comply with applications for grants of legal assistance and reporting requirements for matters eligible for Victoria Legal Aid funding.
5. Attend, participate and contribute to the planning, service delivery and continuous improvement of the Family Law Practice and VALS.
6. Contribute to VALS projects, policy and law reform initiatives, and community and professional legal education programs as required.
7. Contribute to the collaborative relationship with Victoria Legal Aid and other community organisations with which VALS interacts.
8. Keep up to date with relevant legal developments and procedures by attending professional legal education programs and maintain an understanding of issues, risks and trends impacting upon the provision of relevant legal services and members of the ATSI community in Victoria.
• Demonstrates emotional intelligence – respects self and colleagues
• Anticipates, plans and prioritises work – manages competing demands
• Understands and complies with professional responsibilities as a lawyer
• Listens attentively – shows empathy when appropriate
• Is a trusted advisor
• Presents clearly and logically – generates dialogue to elicit information
• Develops expertise in areas of specialisation
• Analyses the situation and formulates the legal question to be answered
• Understands problem and desired goal
• Complies with risk management protocols and relevant law relating to professional practice
To apply for this opportunity, please provide:
- a covering letter outlining who you are and why you are suited to this position
- a statement addressing each of the key selection criteria – applications submitted without a statement addressing the key selection criteria will not be accepted. Please note the key selection criteria is found within the position description.
- your resume detailing your education and professional experience and two referees.
Please submit your application to email@example.com using the subject line: Lawyer – Aboriginals Families Practice
Please apply by 5pm Thursday 5th March 2020
To obtain a copy of the position description please click here Family Lawyer – Position Description